A Year and a Half in the Life of Areabassist

Ok, so not really a year and a half. It has been a year, to the date, though, since my last post. What can I say? I was busy.

As I mentioned in my last post (and only post 0f 2012), more happened in the last few months of 2011 than has happened at any other time in my life. As much as I’ve used this blog as a sounding board for my life, my daughter’s birth and subsequent surgeries were just too real to write about.

2012 turned out to be another crazy year; while it was at times stressful, a lot of pretty awesome stuff. So, without further ado, my 2012 Review (in no particular order of chronology or importance)

Not One Stone goes on hiatus
With Josh wanting to take a hiatus after our Halloween show in October of 2011 (due to the impending arrival of his second child) we decided to take some time off.

My daughter spends a lot of time in the hospital
My daughter had surgery in December of 2011 to correct her Hirschprung’s Disease; while the surgery itself went well, we spent half of 2012 running back and forth to the hospital trying to figure out why she still couldn’t poop. There were a lot of late nights, there were some very high fevers, there were some trips to the emergency room, there was a lot of worrying. I ate a LOT of bacon cheeseburgers at the hospital cafeteria.

I joined The Infidels
I spent a few months trying to find a new project to work with, and answered a Craigslist ad put out by a St. Paul punk/rock band. I originally signed up on a trial basis to help them for a CD release show, but was asked to join officially in the spring. I’ve been rocking with them ever since, going on a couple of road trips, drinking homebrew at their rehearsal space, and enjoying every second of it.

Not One Stone calls it a day
After I mentioned to the dudes that I’d joined another band, we mutually agreed to hang it up. And now I have a six foot Not One Stone banner that I have no idea what to do with.

My daughter has about four more surgeries
I honestly lost count. We were in the hospital a lot. The biggest surgery, in June, was a repeat of the surgery she had in December. Thankfully, it went very well, because my girl is crazy tough.

I closed my store….
I went through the very draining process of closing up my computer repair shop, which meant packing up everything and moving it into my garage and paying a lot of outstanding bills….

… because I got a new job
A dream job opened up at one of the local colleges, and I was offered the position. While closing my store was tough (it’s really hard to shake the feeling that I failed), having a steady income and benefits have been life changing. I actually love my job, for the first time ever.

My daughter celebrated her first birthday
We had a big party for her, with a whole bunch of family and friends attending. She opened a lot of presents. It was an awesome day.

I got a new (used) car
I decided enough was enough with my Focus, and started looking around for a different car. I traded it in for a 2009 Mazda5, and I’m loving having a driver’s side door that works.

That pretty much sums it up. It was a busy year, filled full of changes, stress, and awesomeness.

One Response to “A Year and a Half in the Life of Areabassist”

  1. rhyandjay says:

    Ha ha! Blogs!!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.